Is this the course for you?
The Level 3 Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science is designed to teach you the practical applied skills and scientific knowledge you will need for a successful and rewarding career in the sport, health, and fitness industries. This qualification is the equivalent of 2 A levels, making it a great choice for those of you looking to increase your professional accreditation for employment, or wanting to advance on to further training and higher education.
On this course you will develop an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the science and theory of sport and exercise; teaching you everything from the physiology and psychology of sport, and how biomechanics affect exercise, right through to how to conduct meaningful research, understanding anatomy, and understanding the factors that affect performance.
As well as developing your knowledge of scientific theory and principles, you will also learn how to conduct effective coaching for performance and fitness, sports massage, fitness training and testing, and will experience practical participation of both team and individual sports.
With our state-of-the-art sports facilities and gym (free to use for our learners), fully-qualified sports instructors and expert tutors, and our highly-successful sports teams, we have the perfect environment for you to learn about this industry. We even have a dedicated fitness company working right here in the college, who can provide experience and mentorship for your future career.
Whether you're looking to head straight into employment, or want to progress on to further qualifications and Higher Education, this course will give you the knowledge and skills to match your level of ambition.
What modules will you do?
You will study a combination of compulsory and optional modules in topics such as:
- Sport and exercise physiology
- Functional anatomy
- Applied sport and exercise psychology
- Field and laboratory-based fitness testing
- Applied research methods in port and exercise science
- Coaching for performance and fitness
- Biomechanics in sport and exercise science
- Specialised fitness training
- Research project in sport and exercise science
- Physical activity for individual and group-based exercise
- Sports massage
- Sociocultural issues in sport and exercise
- Nutrition for sport and exercise performance
- Technology in sport and exercise science
- Sports injury and assessment
What do you need to apply?
- 4 GCSE qualifications at grades A*-C or 9-4, including English Language
- Level 2 vocational qualification and a Level 2 English qualification
How will you be assessed?
You will be assessed in a variety of ways, including practical tasks, assignments and coursework.
Where can this course take you?
This course could lead directly to employment in the sport, health, and fitness industries, or can provide the opportunity for further study and training.
After successfully passing the Level 3 Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science, you may wish to consider expanding your knowledge and skills with the following course:
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science (BTEC)
You could also consider one of the following undergraduate degrees, available at London South Bank University (additional qualifications may be required):
- Sport and Exercise Science BSc (Hons)
- Sports Coaching and Analysis BSc (Hons)