Is this the course for you?
Is it your career goal to become a qualified personal trainer or fitness instructor? Does your future lie in the field of sports coaching or teaching? Are you looking for a course that will provide you with an in-depth understanding of development, coaching and fitness? Do you want to progress on to further study and Higher Education? If that sounds like you, then this could be the course to match your level of ambition.
The Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport is an advanced, technical qualification designed to teach you the practical applied skills and scientific knowledge you will need for a successful and rewarding career in the sport industry. This qualification is the equivalent of 3 A levels, making it the perfect choice for those of you looking to immediately seek employment in a qualified role, or wanting to advance directly in to Higher Education and graduate-level training.
On this course you will develop an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the science and theory of sport, teaching you everything from anatomy and physiology; development and provision of sport; professional development in the industry; research methods; and investigating the business behind sport and active leisure.
As well as developing your knowledge of scientific theory and principles, you will also gain advanced technical skills in coaching for performance; sports leadership; fitness training and programming for health, sport, and well-being; skill acquisition in sport; practical sports performance; and sports psychology.
With our state-of-the-art sports facilities and gym (free to use for our learners), fully-qualified sports instructors and expert tutors, and our highly-successful sports teams, we have the perfect environment for you to learn about this industry. We even have a dedicated fitness company working right here in the college, who can provide experience and mentorship for your future career. You will also have the opportunity to experience working with the likes of Sky Sports, and Paralympians, and enjoy visits to sporting venues such as the Emirates Stadium.
What modules will you do?
You will study a combination of compulsory and optional modules in areas that could include:
- Anatomy and physiology - Fitness training and programming for health, sport and well-being
- Development and provision of sport and physical activity - Investigating business in the sport and active leisure industry
- Skill acquisition in sport - Professional development in the sports industry
- Sports leadership - Practical sports performance
- Coaching for performance -Research methods in sport
- Application of fitness testing - Sports psychology
- Sports event organisation - Research project in sport
- Sports injury management - Sports performance analysis
- Rules, regulations and officiating in sport - Technical and tactical demands of sport
- Exercise for specific groups - Exercise, health and lifestyle
- Current issues in sport - Sports massage
What do you need to apply?
- 4 GCSE qualifications at grades A*-C or 9-4, including English Language
- Level 2 vocational qualification and a Level 2 English qualification
How will you be assessed?
You will be assessed in a variety of ways, including practical tasks; academic and work-based assignments; presentations; and coursework.
Where can this course take you?
This course could lead directly to employment in the sport industry in a coaching, teaching, fitness instruction, or personal training capacity. It can also provide a direct route to Higher Education and graduate-level training.
After successfully passing the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport, you may wish to consider one of the following undergraduate degrees, available at London South Bank University (additional qualifications may be required):
- Sport and Exercise Science BSc (Hons)
- Sports Coaching and Analysis BSc (Hons)