Is this the course for you?
We live in a digital age and technology now shapes our personal and professional lives, what’s more, it’s completely changed the way businesses operate on a day-to-day basis. It’s anticipated that the UK will need around 1.2 million new technical and digitally skilled employees by 2022, while an estimated 90 per cent of all jobs will require digital skills within the next 20 years*.
This nationally-recognised qualification will equip you with an understanding and knowledge of the digital skills needed to search and apply for employment, including an awareness of finding and managing relevant and good quality information, and considering the importance of online identities. You will also look at the importance of digital skills in the workplace itself; learning how to communicate effectively using technology, and how to protect data and devices.
The Level 2 Certificate in Principles for Digital Skills in Employment is split into manageable study units, and will develop your knowledge and understanding in five key areas:
- Unit 1: Developing digital career skills
- Unit 2: Management of information
- Unit 3: Digital device safety awareness
- Unit 4: Communication and productivity
- Unit 5: Digital security
Whether you’re currently employed and looking to increase your career prospects, or seeking employment and wanting to develop your employability skills, this course will improve your digital skills in relation to the management of information, and teach you about digital safety, security and communication. It’s also a great course for anyone wishing to improve their digital skills for their own personal use.
This is an online course taught over 10-15 weeks, meaning you can choose when and where ou study, so it offers you the flexibility to fit your studies around your existing work, study, or home-life commitments.
*House of Commons Science and Technology Committee, ’Digital skills crisis’, (07 June 2016)
What modules will you do?
Unit 1: Developing digital career skills
- Digital skills and their relevance
- Improve your own digital skills
- Social media and the internet in relation to employment opportunities
- What forms an online identity
- How to use digital skills in career progression
Unit 2: Management of information
- How to gather reliable information using different techniques
- Copyright regulations and what happens when they are breached
- Different storage methods for data management and why they are in place
- The benefits and limitations of different storage methods
Unit 3: Digital device safety awareness
- The types of threats to data and how to protect it
- Data protection legislation
- Health and safety legislation regarding the use of digital equipment
Unit 4: Communication and productivity
- How to communicate effectively using a range of technology
- Email, online meeting and collaboration tools, and digital networks
- Safety issues and support related to social media
Unit 5: Digital security
- Identifying a range of security threats and system protection methods
- Exploring current legislation around system and data protection
- Organisational policies and procedures
What do you need to apply?
4 GCSE qualifications (or equivalent) at grade D or 3 or above (including English and Maths)
Level 1 vocational qualification
Level 1 qualifications in English and Maths
Additional Information: If you do not hold a suitable Level 1 qualification, or cannot provide evidence of one, you may still be able to enrol on this course following an initial assessment to test your level of literacy and numeracy.
How will you be assessed?
This course can be completed fully online, or via paper-based learning. Both options are assessed via online tests and assessments.
Where can this course take you?
This course can increase your career prospects for your existing role, or teach you valuable employability skills to aid you in finding employment across a wide range of industries. It is also a great course for anyone wishing to improve their digital skills for their own personal use, or advance in their continuing professional development (CPD).
After successfully passing the Level 2 Certificate in Principles for Digital Skills in Employment, you may wish to consider further expanding your knowledge and skills on another of our Level 2 online courses:
- Level 2 Certificate in IT User Skills (TQUK)
- Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Business Administration (NCFE)
- Level 2 Certificate in Lean Organisation Management Techniques (TQUK)
- Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Customer Service (NCFE)
- Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Team Leading (NCFE)
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Retail Operations (NCFE)
- Level 2 Certificate in Information, Advice or Guidance (NCFE)
- Level 2 Certificate in Equality and Diversity (NCFE)