Is this the course for you?
It is a sad fact that, at some point in our lives, dementia will affect most of us in one way or another. With a new case of dementia arising somewhere in the world every four seconds, the need for qualified and specialised carers has never been higher. That's what makes this course such a worthwhile qualification.
Whether you are looking to take your first steps towards a rewarding career in the care industry, would like to develop specialist skills for your current caring role, are currently providing home-care for someone with dementia, or would simply like to better understand dementia for personal reasons, this course is the perfect place to start.
The Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Dementia Care will do much more than just increase your awareness of the symptoms, it will explore the crucial elements of each different type of dementia, and will help you develop a person-centred approach to dementia care.
On this course you will also gain knowledge the practical side of dementia care, including the administration of medication, and understanding how to communicate effectively and engage in activities.
This is an online course taught over 7-14 weeks, so it offers you the flexibility to fit your studies around your existing work, training, or home-care commitments, whilst achieving agreed deadlines set by you and your tutor.
What modules will you do?
You will study the following topics:
- Unit 1: Dementia awareness
- Unit 2: Person-centred approach to the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Unit 3: Understand the factors that can influence communication and interaction with individuals who have dementia
- Unit 4: Understand equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care
- Unit 5: Understand the administration of medication to individuals with dementia using a person-centred approach
- Unit 6: Understand behaviour in the context of dementia
- Unit 7: Understand the benefits of engaging in activities in social care
What do you need to apply?
4 GCSE qualifications (or equivalent) at grade D or 3 or above, or Level 1 vocational qualification, or Level 1 qualification in English.
Additional Information: If you do not hold a suitable Level 1 qualification, or cannot provide evidence of one, you may still be able to enrol on this course following an initial assessment to test your level of literacy in English.
How will you be assessed?
This course can be completed fully online, or via paper-based learning. Both options are assessed via online tests and assessments.
Where can this course take you?
This course is suitable for you if you are already working in the care industry, are looking to find employment in a number of entry-level caring roles, or have home-caring responsibilities. It can also give you the opportunity to increase your career options through further study.
After successfully passing the Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Dementia Care, you may wish to consider progressing on to one of the following Level 3 courses to expand your knowledge and skills:
- Level 3 90-credit Diploma in Health and Social Care (BTEC)
- Level 3 Diploma in Adult Care (City and Guilds)
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care (BTEC)