Is this the course for you?
If you are looking for a course that will prepare you for a successful career in the fascinating worlds of information technology, creative technology, or computer-based development; give you the opportunity to further your education and qualifications; or to teach you the basics of what you need to eventually start and maintain your own business, then this is the course for you.
The Level 2 First Extended Certificate in Information and Creative Technology will teach you both the practical real-world skills, and the theoretical knowledge, that are essential for a career in this field. You will develop your understanding of the online world, an array of technology systems, and how to design and produce digital portfolios, whilst also learning about computer hardware and software, networking, and website development.
With a mix of compulsory modules to teach you the fundamentals of information and creative technology, and optional units that allow you to specialise your knowledge, you will be able to tailor your course to suit your ambitions, whether that be immediate employment, starting your own business, or advancing to higher-level learning.
What modules will you do?
You will study a mixture of compulsory and optional modules, in varied topics that could include:
- The online world
- Technology systems
- A digital portfolio
- Creating digital animation
- Creating digital audio
- Creating digital graphics
- Creating digital video
- Mobile apps development
- Spreadsheet development
- Database development
- Computer networks
- Software development
- Website development
- Installing and maintaining hardware
- Installing and maintaining software
- Automated computer systems
- Multimedia products development
- Computational thinking
- Computing in the workplace
- Building a personal computer
- A technology business
- Computer security in practice
- Computer systems support in practice
- Software systems development
- IT work experience
What do you need to apply?
- 2 GCSE qualifications at grades A*-D or 9-3, including English Language
- Level 1 vocational qualification and a Level 1 English qualification
How will you be assessed?
You will be continually assessed in a variety of ways including course work and practical assignments.
You will also take two externally assessed exams.
Where can this course take you?
This course can lead to employment in a variety of information technology related environments, including application developer, web developer, cyber technician, IT and telecommunications technician.
After successfully passing the Level 2 First Extended Certificate in Information and Creative Technology, you may wish to consider one of the following Level 3 courses:
- Level 3 90-credit Diploma in IT (BTEC)
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT (Software Development) (BTEC)