Is this the course for you?
The Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT (Software Development) is an advanced, technical, in-depth qualification that will expand your skills, and fully prepare you for a successful and rewarding career in software development. The equivalent of three A Levels, this course can open up a world of possibilities, from gaining direct employment in the IT sector, to helping you progress into Higher Education.
This course is designed to deepen your understanding of information technology as a whole, through compulsory modules such as communication and employability skills for IT, computer systems, and information systems. You will then be able to develop your knowledge and specialised skills in programming and software development, through a wide array of optional modules.
Specialised topics you could study can include advanced programming concepts, mathematics for IT, software development and design, website authoring, object orientated development, e-Commerce, and systems analysis and design.
So, if you already know the exact career path you want to take, or just know that you want an exciting career in the dynamic world of software development, the Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT (Software Development) is the perfect platform to help you achieve your goals.
What modules will you do?
You will study a mixture of compulsory and optional modules, in areas that may include:
- Communication and employability skills for IT
- Computer systems
- Information systems
- Software design and development
- Organisational systems security
- Computer networks
- Communication technologies
- Systems analysis and design
- IT systems troubleshooting and repair
- Procedural programming
- Database design
- Client-side customisation of web pages
- Developing computer games
- Maintaining computer systems
- Mathematics for IT practitioners
- Website production
- Installing and upgrading software
- Digital graphics
- Computer animation
- Networked systems security
What do you need to apply?
- 4 GCSE qualifications at grades A*-C or 9-4, including English Language
- Level 2 vocational qualification and a Level 2 English qualification
How will you be assessed?
You will be assessed in a variety of ways such as practical assignments, course work, and question/answer tests.
You will create personal portfolios based upon your learnings which will also be assessed.
Where can this course take you?
This course can lead to employment in a wide variety of It and software development roles, including computer and video games designer, software developer, software programmer, system developer, technical support, and web designer. It also provides a well-established route into a variety of specialist higher education courses in this sector, including undergraduate and foundation degrees.
After successfully passing the Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT (Software Development), you may wish to consider the following higher education and degree courses available at London South Bank University (additional qualifications may be required):
- Digital and Technology Solutions Professional Apprenticeship - Software Engineer Pathway
- Digital and Technology Solutions Professional (Software Engineer) BSc (Hons)
- Information Technology BSc (Hons)
- Computer Science BSc (Hons)
- Computer Engineering BEng (Hons)