Is this the course for you?
The Level 3 90-credit Diploma in IT is an advanced technical qualification that will expand your skills, and help prepare you for a successful and rewarding career in information technology and computing. The equivalent of 1.5 A Levels, this course can open up a world of possibilities, from gaining direct employment in the IT sector, to helping you progress on to further qualifications and Higher Education.
This course is designed to deepen your understanding of information technology as a whole, through compulsory modules such as communication and employability skills for IT, and computer systems. You will then be able to develop your knowledge and skills in a variety of IT-based subjects, to increase your specialisation and improve your employability.
Specialised topics you could study can include information technology systems, creating systems to manage information, using social media in business, programming, data modelling, and website development.
The content of this qualification has been developed in consultation with academics, to ensure that it incorporates the most up-to-date knowledge and skills, making this course a fantastic choice for those of you looking to take your IT skills to the next level.
What modules will you do?
You will study a mixture of compulsory and optional modules, in areas that may include:
- Communication and employability skills for IT
- Computer systems
- Data modelling
- Software design and development
- Organisational systems security
- Computer networks
- Communication technologies
- Systems analysis and design
- IT systems troubleshooting and repair
- Procedural programming
- Database design
- Client-side customisation of web pages
- Developing computer games
- Maintaining computer systems
- Mathematics for IT practitioners
- Website production
- Installing and upgrading software
- Digital graphics
- Computer animation
- Social media for business
What do you need to apply?
5 GCSE qualifications (or equivalent) at grade C or 4 or above or Equivalent Level 2 vocational qualification at merit/pass or above
How will you be assessed?
You will be assessed in a variety of ways such as practical assignments, course work, and question/answer tests.
You will create personal portfolios based upon your learnings which will also be assessed.
Where can this course take you?
This course can lead to employment in a wide variety of It and software development roles, including computer and video games designer, software developer, software programmer, system developer, technical support, and web designer. It also provides a well-established route into a variety of specialist higher education courses in this sector, including undergraduate and foundation degrees.
After successfully passing the Level 3 90-credit Diploma in IT, you may wish to consider the following higher education and degree courses available at London South Bank University (additional qualifications may be required):
- Digital and Technology Solutions Professional Apprenticeship - Software Engineer Pathway
- Digital and Technology Solutions Professional (Software Engineer) BSc (Hons)
- Information Technology BSc (Hons)
- Computer Science BSc (Hons)
- Computer Engineering BEng (Hons)