Is this the course for you?
Are you passionate about pastry? Bonkers about biscuits? Serious about sponges? Crazy about cakes? If that sounds like you, and you dream of a career as a professional pastry chef or baker, then this is course you've been looking for.
The Level 2 Certificate in General Patisserie and Confectionery is designed to help you become a qualified and specialised chef, by developing a high standard of patisserie and general culinary skills, and teaching you about the finer points of working in a professional kitchen.
You'll learn an array of preparation, cooking, baking, and finishing techniques, for many different types of hot and cold desserts, sweets, and patisserie dishes including chocolate items, cakes, sponges, breads and dough, and pastry products.
More than just developing your culinary skills, this course will also teach you about food safety, health and hygiene, the correct way to prepare and store food, and how to plan your menus.
This is a part-time course, consisting of one day of study a week, so it can be fitted in around your existing work, study, or family commitments.
What modules will you do?
You will study a combination of compulsory and optional modules in subjects such as:
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Maintain the health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment
- Ensure food safety practices are followed in the preparation and serving of food and drink
- Prepare, cook and finish bread and dough products
- Prepare, cook and finish pastry products
- Prepare, process and finish chocolate items
- Prepare, cook and finish cakes, sponges, biscuits and scones
- Prepare, cook and finish cold desserts
- Produce sauces, fillings and coatings for desserts
- Prepare, cook and finish hot desserts
What do you need to apply?
- 2 GCSE qualifications at grades A*-D or 9-3, including English Language
- Level 1 vocational qualification and a Level 1 English qualification
How will you be assessed?
You will be continually assessed in a variety of ways including practical tasks, observations, assignments, and portfolio work.
Where can this course take you?
This course can lead to work as a pastry chef or baker, in a variety of culinary environments.
You could also choose to continue your culinary training.
After successfully passing the Level 2 Certificate in General Patisserie and Confectionery, you may wish to consider one of the following Level 3 courses:
- Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Professional Cookery (City and Guilds)
- Level 3 Diploma in Professional Patisserie and Confectionery (City and Guilds)