Is this the course for you?
- Part Time Day = 3 x Saturdays 10 - 4pm*
- Evening = 2 x evenings per week, over 3 weeks, on a TUES & THURS (6 x evenings in total)*
This course costs £370
Whether you work in hospitality and want to increase your knowledge, are looking for a career in the wine and spirits industry, or are just an enthusiast who wants to better understand your favourite tipple, the Level 2 Award in Wine and Spirits is the perfect qualification for you.
On this course you'll explore the main grape varieties and major wine regions in which they are grown, learn about the key black and white grape varieties, and understand the production of sparkling, sweet, and fortified wines. You'll also learn about which styles of wines are produced from which grapes, and what the classifications and terminology on wine labels actually means.
So, if you want to learn how to truly taste and appreciate wine and be able to tell your chardonnay from your chenin blanc, and your muscadet from your merlot, this course is the place to do it.
This qualification is available as both a part-time or evening course, with multiple start dates, so it can be fitted around your existing work, study, or family commitments.
What modules will you do?
You will study a number of interesting and exciting topics such as:
- How wine is made
- What factors influence wine style
- The key white and black grape varieties and their characteristics
- The important wine-producing regions of the world in which these grapes are grown
- The production of sparkling, sweet, and fortified wines
- Label terminology
- Food and wine pairing principles
- How to describe wine using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine (SAT)
What do you need to apply?
You must be of legal drinking age in the UK (18 years old or over) to take part in any wine tasting on this course.
How will you be assessed?
You will be assessed via a closed-book exam, consisting of 50 multiple choice questions based on what you have learnt during the course.
Where can this course take you?
This course can help you on your way to becoming a qualified sommelier, increase your skills and employability in a variety of hospitality and catering roles, be the first step towards a career in wine and spirit buying, or even just provide you with an interesting new hobby.
Following your completion of the Level 2 Award in Wine and Spirits, you may wish to consider developing your knowledge and skills with one of the following courses:
- Level 2 Diploma in Professional Food and Beverage Service (City and Guilds)
- Level 2 Award in Professional Bartending (Cocktails) (City and Guilds)
*dates and times may vary depending on numbers registered