Is this the course for you?
Are you serious about becoming a chef? Do you want to learn how to prepare and cook a huge variety of dishes and individual ingredients? Are you looking for a course that will provide you with the skills and knowledge you need to work in the culinary industry? Then look no further, because this is the course for you.
The Level 2 Diploma in Culinary Skills is designed to help you become a qualified chef by developing a high standard of cooking skills, and teaching you about the finer points of working in a professional kitchen.
You'll learn an array of techniques and cooking practices, including how to prepare and cook everything from stocks and sauces, rice and pasta dishes, meat, fish, poultry, and vegetables, right through to how to satisfy your customers' sweet cravings by producing delicious biscuits, cakes, sponges, and stunning desserts.
More than just developing your cookery skills, this course will also teach you about food safety, menu planning and costing, and how to accommodate healthier food and special diets in your menus.
The Level 2 Diploma in Culinary Skills is available as both a full-time day course and via evening classes, so it can be fitted around your existing work, study, or family commitments.
What modules will you do?
You will study a combination of compulsory and optional modules in subjects such as:
- Stocks, soups and sauces
- Fruit and vegetables
- Meat and offal
- Fish and shellfish
- Rice, pasta, grains and egg dishes
- Food safety in catering
- Developing skills for employment in the catering and hospitality industry
- Health and safety in catering and hospitality
- Healthier food and special diets
- Catering operations, costs and menu planning
- Hot and cold desserts and puddings
- Paste products
- Biscuit, cake and sponge products
- Fermented dough products
What do you need to apply?
- 2 GCSE qualifications at grades A*-D or 9-3, including English Language
- Level 1 vocational qualification and a Level 1 English qualification
How will you be assessed?
You will be continually assessed in a variety of ways including practical tasks, observations, assignments, and portfolio work.
Where can this course take you?
This course can lead to work as a commis chef, demi-chef de partie, or chef de partie, in a variety of culinary environments.
You could also choose to continue your culinary training.
After successfully passing the Level 2 Diploma in Culinary Skills, you may wish to consider one of the following Level 3 courses:
- Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Professional Cookery (City and Guilds)
- Level 3 Certificate in General Patisserie and Confectionery (City and Guilds)