Is this the course for you?
This is the course that takes good cooks and puts them on the path to becoming great chefs. You may already have a solid grounding of culinary knowledge and a good level of technical skill, but the Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Professional Cookery will take your cooking to new heights, giving you the tools and the confidence to take the next big step in your culinary career.
This is an in-depth, technical qualification designed to build upon your existing knowledge and skills, and teach you an array of advanced techniques, so you can produce dishes that are as stunning to look at as they are delicious to eat.
You will learn new skills and techniques in preparing and producing dishes of every kind, including poultry and game, vegetarian cuisine, healthy eating, fish and shellfish, and meat. You will also learn about practical gastronomy, and the exciting area of food development.
As well as taking your culinary skills to the next level, this course will increase your knowledge of preparing and storing food safely, health and hygiene in a culinary environment, and how to effectively supervise others in the kitchen.
What modules will you do?
You will study a combination of compulsory and optional modules in subjects such as:
- Supervisory skills in the hospitality industry
- The principles of food safety supervision for catering
- Practical gastronomy
- Advanced skills and techniques in producing vegetable and vegetarian dishes
- Advanced skills and techniques in producing meat dishes
- Advanced skills and techniques in producing poultry and game dishes
- Advanced skills and techniques in producing fish and shellfish
- Food product development
What do you need to apply?
- 4 GCSE qualifications at grades A*-C or 9-4, including English Language
- Level 2 vocational qualification and a Level 2 English qualification
How will you be assessed?
You will be continually assessed in a variety of ways including practical tasks, observations, assignments, and portfolio work.
Where can this course take you?
This course can lead to work as a sous chef or senior chef de partie in a variety of culinary environments, or using your knowledge and skills to start your own business venture.
You could also choose to progress your culinary training to higher education level.
After successfully passing the Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Professional Cookery, you may wish to consider one of London South Bank University's higher education courses, including the following foundation degree course:
- Baking Science and Technology FdSc