Is this the course for you?
The Level 1 Diploma in an Introduction to Professional Cookery is the perfect starting point for those of you who know you want a career in the exciting and varied world of catering, especially if your ambition to become a qualified chef.
Based at our state-of-the-art training kitchens and restaurant, this course will introduce you to the basic technical skills and professional standards you will need in order to become a qualified chef, while also teaching you about life in the hospitality and catering industry as a whole.
Covering everything from health and safety, hygiene, food preparation, menu planning, healthy eating and special diets, and using professional kitchen equipment, right through to the technical skills required for boiling, steaming, frying, roasting, braising, and baking delicious dishes, this course will provide you with the perfect base to launch your culinary career.
If you're looking to take your first step towards a career in professional cookery and catering and become a qualified chef in the future, or if you want to gain access to further qualifications, then this is the course for you.
The Level 1 Diploma in an Introduction to Professional Cookery is available as both a full-time day course and via evening classes, so it can be fitted around your existing work, study, or family commitments.
What modules will you do?
You will study a number of modules in such varied and interesting topics such as:
- Introduction to the catering and hospitality industry
- Food safety in catering
- Health and safety awareness for catering and hospitality
- Introduction to healthier foods and special diets
- Introduction to kitchen equipment
- Introduction to personal workplace skills
- Prepare and cook food by boiling, poaching and steaming
- Prepare and cook food by stewing and braising
- Prepare and cook food by baking, roasting and grilling
- Prepare and cook food by deep frying and shallow frying
- Regeneration of pre-prepared food
- Cold food preparation
What do you need to apply?
2 GCSE qualifications (or equivalent) at grade D-G or 3-1 or Entry level vocational qualification.
Additional Information: You will have an initial assessment in English and maths
How will you be assessed?
You will be continually assessed in a variety of ways including practical tasks, observations, assignments, and portfolio work.
Where can this course take you?
This course can lead to work as a commis chef in a variety of culinary environments.
You could also choose to continue your cookery training.
After successfully passing the Level 1 Diploma in an Introduction to Professional Cookery, you may wish to consider one of the following Level 2 courses:
- Level 2 Diploma in Culinary Skills (City and Guilds)
- Level 2 Certificate in Professional Patisserie and Confectionery (City and Guilds)
- Level 2 Diploma in Professional Food and Beverage Service (City and Guilds)