Is this the course for you?
The Level 1 Award in Mental Health Awareness is designed to increase your knowledge and understanding of mental health, as well as develop your practical and emotional skills; to help you to progress to a rewarding career in the health and social care, counselling, or education sectors.
It’s also a great choice for absolutely anyone - from any industry or background â€“ who wants to develop their understanding of mental health and the causes of mental distress, and gain a basic understanding about the topic; for their own personal or professional reasons.
This course will raise awareness of the issues surrounding mental health difficulties; dispel some of the myths and misconceptions frequently linked to mental health issues; and develop your knowledge of the rights of those with mental health issues.
This qualification is perfect for those of you who want to pursue a career in counselling, health and social care, or education; or who wish to learn more about mental health for personal reasons. And - as it’s a part-time course - it’s ideally suited to those learners with existing work, study, and home-life commitments.
What modules will you do?
You will gain knowledge and skills in areas such as:
- What is meant by mental health
- The social and personal effects of mental ill health
- The responses to mental health issues
- Cultural diversity in relation to mental health issues
What do you need to apply?
There are no specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification. However, learners may find it helpful if they have already achieved Entry Level qualifications in English and maths.
Preferred Qualifications: Entry Level English and Maths
How will you be assessed?
You will be assessed in a variety of ways that can include:
- Carrying out practical tasks
- Case studies
- Group discussion
- Keeping working records and journals
- Taking part in oral and written presentations
- Oral and written questioning
- Taking part in role play, interviews and other activities
Where can this course take you?
After successfully passing the Level 1 Award in Mental Health Awareness, you may wish to consider expanding your skillset, and continuing your development, on one of the following courses:
- Level 1 Award in Interpersonal Skills (NCFE)
- Level 1 Certificate in Digital Skills (NCFE)
You could also progress to a number of qualifications in areas where mental health awareness is of importance; such as qualifications in health and social care, counselling, community work, youth work, childcare, and education. Suitable Lambeth College courses include:
- Level 1 Diploma in Caring for Children (NCFE/CACHE)
- Level 1 Diploma in Introduction to Health, Social Care, and Children’s and Young Peoples Settings (NCFE/CACHE)
- Level 2 Certificate in Skills for Professions in Health and Social Care (OCNLR)
- Level 2 First Extended Certificate in Health and Social Care (BTEC)
- Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills (CPCAB)