Is this the course for you?
If you are looking to take your first step to becoming a teaching or learning support assistant in a primary, secondary, or special educational needs school, or if you are already working in a teaching and learning support role and are looking to increase your knowledge and qualifications, this could be the course for you.
The Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools will help develop your knowledge of the principles and theory of educational support, and teach you the practical skills that all teaching and learning support assistants need.
You will learn about a variety of topics, including children and young people's development; safeguarding young learners; health and safety in a school setting; promoting an effective learning environment; supporting positive behaviour in children and young people; supporting those with disabilities or special educational needs; and maintaining relationships with children and young people.
More than just developing your role-specific knowledge, this course will also help prepare you for working in a learning environment by teaching you about team work, communication, equality and inclusion, and increasing your understanding of schools and colleges as organisations.
This is a part-time course, with one day of college-based study per week, so can be fitted in around your existing work or study commitments.
What modules will you do?
You will gain knowledge and skills in areas such as:
- Support positive behaviour in a learning environment for children and young people
- Promote an effective learning environment
- Maintain relationships with children and young people
- Contribute to teamwork in a learning environment
- Support the health and safety of children and young people
- Understand children and young people's development
- Provide displays in a learning environment
- Equality, diversity, and inclusion in a learning environment for children and young people
- Understand children and young people's play and leisure
- Safeguarding children and young people
- Understanding schools and colleges as organisations
What do you need to apply?
4 GCSE qualifications (or equivalent) at grade D or 3 or above or equivalent Level 1 vocational qualification
Additional information: You are required to have a clear DBS check to enrol on this course.
How will you be assessed?
You will be assessed via practical work-based assessments and course work.
Where can this course take you?
This course could lead to employment in a teaching assistant, special educational needs assistant, or learning support assistant role in an educational setting.
After successfully passing the Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools, you could further develop your knowledge and skills on one of our Level 3 courses:
- Level 3 Early Years Educator Diploma for the Early Years Workforce (NCFE CACHE)
- Level 3 Diploma in Support for Teaching and Learning in Schools (NCFE CACHE)