Is this the course for you?
The Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design (Photography) is an advanced, in-depth qualification that will develop the knowledge, creative skills, and understanding you will need for a rewarding and successful career in a variety of photography-based roles in the creative industries. This qualification is the equivalent of 3 A levels, and can provide a direct route to Higher Education and university-level study.
Through practical learning and immersive study, you will explore a variety of creative techniques, processes, and skills, to enhance your ability to capture and express your ideas and forms through cameras and image construction. You will develop advanced skills in conceptual imagery and experimental photography, originality of idea, lens manipulation, advanced studio set-ups and lighting, location photography, and experimental analogue and darkroom practices. You will also gain an in-depth understanding of abstract imagery, alternative photographic processes, and advanced digital image capture, editing and manipulation.
More than just developing your creative, artistic, and technical skills, you will also gain a deeper understanding of the theories and principles of art and design. These can include research methodology, expression of thought, historical context, justification of concept, critical awareness, how to explore media, characteristics and contexts, engaging with an audience, and project proposal and realisation. You will also be guided through your preparation for progression in the photography industry, and the wider world of art and design.
So, whether you're looking to advance directly to Higher Education, or progress straight to employment, the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design (Photography) gives you the skills, knowledge, and confidence to perfectly frame your future.
What modules will you do?
You will develop skills, techniques, and knowledge of areas that can include:
- Introduction to visual language in art and design
- Introduction to research skills in art and design
- Introduction to critical and contextual awareness in art and design
- Introduction to materials, processes and technical skills in art and design
- An integrated approach to 2D problem solving in art and design
- An integrated approach to 3D problem solving in art and design
- An integrated approach to time-based problem solving
- Developing an art and design project
- Opportunities for progression in art and design
- Characteristics and contexts in art and design
- Preparation for progression in art and design
- Engaging with an audience in art and design
- Project proposal and realisation in art and design
What do you need to apply?
- 4 GCSE qualifications at grades A*-C or 9-4, including English Language
- Level 2 vocational qualification and a Level 2 English qualification
Additional information: You will have a review of your portfolio and ideally show some moderate success in the subject area
Students will need a Digital SLR camera, 4g or higher SD card, notebook, pens/pencils, camera lenses (at least 18-55 mm, additional ones thereafter), £20 -30 travel credit for the year, gloves.
How will you be assessed?
You will be assessed by a combination of assignments, course work, observation of practical workshops, and a final project.
Where can this course take you?
This course can lead to employment in a number of photography-based roles in the creative industries, or provide a direct route to Higher Education and further study. Careers open to you could include digital designer, photographer for events, fine art photographer, portrait artist, forensic photographer, wild-life photographer, continuity photographer, magazine house photographer, graphic designer, art director, fashion branding, and archivist.
After successfully passing the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design (Photography), you may wish to consider progressing to Higher Education, with one of the following courses available at London South Bank University (additional qualifications may be required):
- Photography BA (Hons)
- Fashion Promotion with Marketing BA (Hons)
- Media Production BA (Hons)