Is this the course for you?
The Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design (Fashion) is an advanced, in-depth qualification that will develop the knowledge, creative skills, and understanding you will need for a rewarding and successful career in the world of fashion, or a variety of art and design-based roles. This qualification is the equivalent of 3 A levels, and can provide a direct route to Higher Education and university-level study.
Through practical learning and immersive study, you will explore a variety of creative techniques, processes, and skills, to enhance your ability to capture and express your ideas and forms through fashion and textile creation. You will develop an advanced understanding of originality of idea, conceptual thinking and outcomes, and the impact of fashion on the audience. You will also increase your specialist skills in draping, pattern cutting, textile characteristics, garment patterning and construction, and sewing.
This course will expand upon the theories and principles of art and design. These can include research methodology, expression of thought, historical context, justification of concept, critical awareness, how to explore media, characteristics and contexts, engaging with an audience, and project proposal and realisation. You will also receive professional guidance through your preparation for progression in the fashion industry, or career in the wider art and design sector.
So, whether you're looking to advance directly to Higher Education, or progress straight to employment, the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design (Fashion) gives you the skills, knowledge, and confidence to tailor your future to match your ambition.
What modules will you do?
You will develop skills, techniques, and knowledge of areas that can include:
- Introduction to visual language in art and design
- Introduction to research skills in art and design
- Introduction to critical and contextual awareness in art and design
- Introduction to materials, processes and technical skills in art and design
- An integrated approach to 2D problem solving in art and design
- An integrated approach to 3D problem solving in art and design
- An integrated approach to time-based problem solving
- Developing an art and design project
- Opportunities for progression in art and design
- Characteristics and contexts in art and design
- Preparation for progression in art and design
- Engaging with an audience in art and design
- Project proposal and realisation in art and design
What do you need to apply?
5 GCSE qualifications (or equivalent) at grade A*-C or 9-4 or equivalent Level 2 vocational qualification at merit/pass or above.
Additional information: GCSE maths and English required You will have a review of your portfolio and ideally show some moderate success in the subject area
How will you be assessed?
You will be assessed by a combination of assignments, course work, observation of practical workshops, and a final project.
Where can this course take you?
This course can lead to employment in a number of fashion-based roles in the creative industries, or provide a direct route to Higher Education and further study. Careers open to you could include fashion designer, make-up consultant, cobbler, tailor, print designer, textiles artist, magazine editorial, graphic design, costumer, haberdashery, independent artist, painter, decorating, print designer, and fashion branding.
After successfully passing the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design (Fashion), you may wish to consider progressing to Higher Education, with one of the following courses available at London South Bank University (additional qualifications may be required):
- Fashion Promotion with Marketing BA (Hons)
- Media Production BA (Hons)
- Photography BA (Hons)