Is this the course for you?
The Level 3 Diploma in Art and Design (Photography) is an advanced, in-depth qualification that will develop the knowledge, creative skills, and understanding you will need in order to progress to further study and Higher Education, or prepare you for a rewarding career in a number of photography-based roles in the creative industries. This qualification is the equivalent of 1.5 A levels.
Through practical learning and immersive study, you will explore a variety of creative techniques, processes, and skills, to enhance your ability to capture and express your ideas and forms through cameras and image construction. You will develop skills in camera capture, image composition, studio set-up, lighting, location photography, analogue and darkroom practices, and digital manipulation.
More than just developing your creative, artistic, and technical skills, you will also gain a deeper understanding of the theories and principles of art and design. These can include research methodology, expression of thought, historical context, justification of concept, critical awareness, how to explore media, and how to finish and present your work. You will also receive an overview of your opportunities for progression in the photography industry, and the wider world of art and design.
So, whether you're looking to advance to Higher Education, or progress straight to employment, the Level 3 Diploma in Art and Design (Photography) gives you the skills, knowledge, and confidence to perfectly frame your future.
What modules will you do?
You will develop skills, techniques, and knowledge of areas that can include:
- Introduction to visual language in art and design
- Introduction to research skills in art and design
- Introduction to critical and contextual awareness in art and design
- Introduction to materials, processes and technical skills in art and design
- An integrated approach to 2D problem solving in art and design
- An integrated approach to 3D problem solving in art and design
- An integrated approach to time-based problem solving
- Developing an art and design project
- Opportunities for progression in art and design
What do you need to apply?
5 GCSE qualifications (or equivalent) at grade A*-C or 9-4 or equivalent Level 2 vocational qualification at merit/pass or above
Additional information: GCSE maths and English required You will have a review of your portfolio and ideally show some moderate success in the subject area
How will you be assessed?
You will be assessed by a combination of assignments, course work, observation of practical workshops, and a final project.
Where can this course take you?
This course can lead to future employment in a number of photography-based roles in the creative industries, or provide a route to Higher Education and further study. Careers open to you could include digital designer, photographer for events, fine art photographer, portrait artist, forensic photographer, wild-life photographer, continuity photographer, magazine house photographer, graphic designer, art director, fashion branding, and archivist.
After successfully passing the Level 3 Diploma in Art and Design (Photography), you may wish to increase your knowledge and skills on one of our Level 3 Extended Diplomas:
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design (Photography) (UAL)
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design (Fashion) (UAL)
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design (Fine Art) (UAL)
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production and Technology (UAL)