Is this the course for you?
The Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design (Fine Art) is an advanced, in-depth qualification that will develop the knowledge, creative skills, and understanding you will need for a rewarding and successful career in a variety of art and design-based roles. This qualification is the equivalent of 3 A levels, and can provide a direct route to Higher Education and university-level study.
Through practical learning and immersive study, you will explore a variety of creative techniques, processes, and skills, to enhance your ability to capture and express your ideas and forms through fine art and digital practices. You will develop an advanced understanding of originality of idea, conceptual thinking and outcomes, and the impact of art on the audience. This course will also increase your specialist knowledge of abstract imagery, alternative fine art, digital processes, and the critical impact of art in contemporary society.
This course will also expand upon the theories and principles of art and design. These can include research methodology, expression of thought, historical context, justification of concept, critical awareness, how to explore media, characteristics and contexts, engaging with an audience, and project proposal and realisation.
You will be provided the chance to specialise in the area of art and design that inspires you the most, be it painting, drawing, graphic design, or sculpture and develop your skills specific to that pathway, while also being guided through your preparation for progression in the art and design sector.
So, whether you're looking to advance directly to Higher Education, or progress straight to employment, the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design (Fine Art) gives you the skills, knowledge, and confidence to paint your perfect future.
What modules will you do?
You will develop skills, techniques, and knowledge of areas that can include:
- Introduction to visual language in art and design
- Introduction to research skills in art and design
- Introduction to critical and contextual awareness in art and design
- Introduction to materials, processes and technical skills in art and design
- An integrated approach to 2D problem solving in art and design
- An integrated approach to 3D problem solving in art and design
- An integrated approach to time-based problem solving
- Developing an art and design project
- Opportunities for progression in art and design
- Characteristics and contexts in art and design
- Preparation for progression in art and design
- Engaging with an audience in art and design
- Project proposal and realisation in art and design
What do you need to apply?
- 4 GCSE qualifications at grades A*-C or 9-4, including English Language
- Level 2 vocational qualification and a Level 2 English qualification
Additional information: You will have a review of your portfolio and ideally show some moderate success in the subject area
How will you be assessed?
You will be assessed by a combination of assignments, course work, observation of practical workshops, and a final project.
Where can this course take you?
This course can lead to employment in a number of art and design-based roles in the creative industries, or provide a direct route to Higher Education and further study. Careers open to you could include illustrator, sculptor, sketch artist, digital designer, product designer, architect, 3D model maker, animator, independent artist, painter, interior decorator, print designer, and fashion branding roles.
After successfully passing the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design (Fine Art), you may wish to consider progressing to Higher Education, with one of the following courses available at London South Bank University (additional qualifications may be required):
- Photography BA (Hons)
- Fashion Promotion with Marketing BA (Hons)
- Media Production BA (Hons)
- Animation BA (Hons)