Is this the course for you?
The Level 3 Diploma in Art and Design (Fine Art) is an advanced, in-depth qualification that will develop the knowledge, creative skills, and understanding you will need in order to progress to further study and Higher Education, or prepare you for a rewarding career in a number of creative art and design-based roles. This qualification is the equivalent of 1.5 A levels.
Through practical learning and immersive study, you will explore a variety of creative techniques, processes, skills, and materials, to enhance your ability to capture and express your ideas visually. You will develop skills in drawing and sketching, painting applications, and sculpting, including 2D and 3D practices.
More than just developing your creative and artistic skills, you will also gain a deeper understanding of the theories and principles of art and design. These can include research methodology, expression of thought, historical context, justification of concept, critical awareness, how to explore media, and how to finish and present your work. You will also receive an overview of your opportunities for progression in the world of art and design.
So, whether you're looking to advance to Higher Education, or progress straight to employment, the Level 3 Diploma in Art and Design (Fine Art) gives you the tools you need to paint your own future.
What modules will you do?
You will develop skills, techniques, and knowledge of areas that can include:
- Introduction to visual language in art and design
- Introduction to research skills in art and design
- Introduction to critical and contextual awareness in art and design
- Introduction to materials, processes and technical skills in art and design
- An integrated approach to 2D problem solving in art and design
- An integrated approach to 3D problem solving in art and design
- An integrated approach to time-based problem solving
- Developing an art and design project
- Opportunities for progression in art and design
What do you need to apply?
5 GCSE qualifications (or equivalent) at grade A*-C or 9-4, or equivalent Level 2 vocational qualification at merit/pass or above.
Additional information: GCSE maths and English required You will have a review of your portfolio and ideally show some moderate success in the subject area
How will you be assessed?
You will be assessed by a combination of assignments, course work, observation of practical workshops, and a final project.
Where can this course take you?
This course can lead to future employment in a number of art and design-based roles or provide a route to Higher Education and further study. Careers open to you could include illustrator, sculptor, sketch artist, digital designer, product designer, architect, 3D model maker, animator, independent artist, painter, interior decorator, print designer, and fashion branding roles.
After successfully passing the Level 3 Diploma in Art and Design (Fine Art), you may wish to increase your knowledge and skills on one of our Level 3 Extended Diplomas:
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design (Fine Art) (UAL)
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design (Photography) (UAL)
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design (Fashion) (UAL)
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production and Technology (UAL)