Is this the course for you?
The Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Bookkeeping is the ideal entry point to start your career in accountancy and finance; develop your accountancy skills for your existing role, or self-owned business; or even completely change career direction. It can also provide you with a gateway to further study - and higher-level accountancy and business qualifications - and is ideally-suited to those of you returning to education.
This course will help you to develop a strong foundation of bookkeeping knowledge, with a particular focus on manual bookkeeping; teaching you the essential skills which underpin all accountancy and finance roles. You’ll learn how to carry out typical bookkeeping transactions and tasks, as well as gaining an understanding of the ethical issues that you could face in this industry.
The Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Bookkeeping is part of AAT’s range of Short Qualifications; typically taking six weeks to complete, with two study days per week. These Short Qualifications are flexible, adaptable to your personal needs, and focus on the specific knowledge and skills you’ll need for a career in accountancy and finance. What’s more, as they’re certificated by AAT (the Association of Accounting Technicians), they’re highly-valued by employers in a wide-range of industries.
This is a part-time course, with multiple start dates throughout the year, so it can be fitted around your existing home, study, and work commitments.
What modules will you do?
This course is designed to develop the solid bookkeeping skills necessary for most finance roles. You will gain the knowledge and skills needed to carry out typical bookkeeping transactions and tasks.
The course comprises two mandatory units: 1) Bookkeeping Transactions, and 2) Bookkeeping Controls
Your areas of study will include:
- Double-entry bookkeeping systems
- Checking transactions for accuracy
- Making entries in appropriate books and ledgers
- Calculating sales invoices and credit notes
- Dealing with VAT, reconciliation and trial balances
What do you need to apply?
An initial assessment will be required for all applicants. You will also need:
- Qualification at Level 1 in Accountancy or a related vocational course
- Level 1 or above in Maths and English
- Recent, relevant work experience (on agreement with your Course Tutor)
How will you be assessed?
You will be assessed via an online examination at the end of the course.
Where can this course take you?
This course can lead to employment in a variety of accountancy and finance roles, in both the public and private sectors, including clerical assistant, trainee bookkeeper, accounts clerk, finance assistant, and accounts administrator.
After successfully passing the Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Bookkeeping, you may wish to consider expanding your knowledge and skills on another of our Level 2 AAT courses:
- Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting (AAT)
- Level 2 Foundation Award in Accounting Software (AAT)
Alternatively, you could choose to advance to one of Lambeth College’s Level 2 or 3 business and accounting courses:
- Level 2 Certificate in Skills for Professions in Business, Administration & Finance (OCNLR)
- Level 2 First Extended Certificate in Business (BTEC)
- Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting (AAT)
- Level 3 Certificate in Principles of Business & Admin (OCNLR)
- Level 3 Certificate in Principles of Leadership & Management (ILM C&G)
- Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Business (BTEC QCF)