What is a 24+ Advanced Learning Loan?
How do I apply for a loan?
Repaying a loan
Support from the College for you
At the end of each section there are a series of downloads and resources which provide further information and help for you.
Please contact the Student Loans Company regarding 24+ Advanced Learning Loans on 0300 100 0619. Alternatively call the College for further information on 020 7501 5000 and speak to one of our Advisors. Please let them know you are calling about 24+ Advanced Learning Loans.
Further education at Level 3 and above gives you the skills and knowledge that you need to develop professionally, increases your potential, and gives you the qualifications you need to progress in life and work.
It also provides evidence of your skills and knowledge to potential employers and improves your chances of getting the job that you want.
For the first time, you are entitled to an ‘Advanced Learning Loan’ to cover your course fees – if you are studying at Level 3 or 4, and you are aged at least 24 on the first day of your course.
You don’t have to take out a Loan. But its availability means that you can improve your knowledge and skills without needing to pay the course fees upfront. You could decide to pay part of your course fees with a loan (minimum £300) and part with your own finances.
Most learners aged 24 and over, studying at level 3 and above, will qualify for these new loans from the UK Government. It’s easy to apply, your household income is not taken into account and there is no credit check. You will not have to pay anything back until your income is over £21,000 a year.
To qualify for a 24-plus Advanced Learning Loan you must be:
- Aged 24 or over on the first day of your course (there is no upper age limit).
- Living in the UK on the first day of your course and have lived in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the EEA for three years immediately before this. You may also qualify if you’re an EU national or a family member of one, a refugee, a migrant worker, the child of a Swiss national, or the child of a Turkish worker.
- Enrolling on an eligible course at level 3 and above which includes Access to HE and advanced or higher level qualifications approved for public funding. These include Access to HE Diplomas, and other Diplomas and Certificates.
You can check your eligibility by clicking here or calling 0845 300 5090.
Downloads and resources:
The Loan application process is straightforward.
There is no means-testing or credit-rating check and, once your Loan application is accepted, you won’t need to do anything else to pay the course fee or to arrange repayment later. It’s all organised for you.
- You first need to identify the course that you want to study. You can find this information in our College Prospectus/website, or on-line via the National Careers Service.
- You’ll then need to apply to the College for a place on the course, and get an offer letter from us confirming your place.
- The college will also provide you with Learning and Funding information letter which will outline the following:
UK Provider Number: 10003755 (Lambeth College), Course Code, Start date, End date, Fee.
You will need this information to make your Loan application.
- You will also need your passport details/residency status, National Insurance Number, addresses to cover last 3 years.
Alternatively click here to download a paper application form.
Things to remember when making your loan application:
- Make a note of your Customer Reference Number (11 digit number assigned to each applicant)
- Select Further Education as your chosen route
- At the end of the online application process you will need to print and sign the declaration form (2 copies) and print the application summary. One signed copy of the declaration form needs to be sent to SLC along with any relevant requested documents (please send via recorded or special delivery and keep the tracking number). The other copy of the declaration form and the application summary need to be presented at the enrolment desk at the time of enrolment. The declaration form is also at the end of the paper application form.
- In case of any issues when completing your application please call the 24+ loan helpline on 0300 100 0619.
- Loans are provided by the Student Loans Company. The Student Loans Company will let you know in approximately 5 days if your application has been successful (approximately 7 days for a paper application).
- The College will also be informed about your successful application, and then you can proceed to enrol on your course. The Student Loans Company will make course payments on your behalf to the College.
- You will be able to enrol on the course based on the completion of the loan application. However, please note that in an unlikely event of not being granted the loan you will be liable to pay any accrued fees. If you need independent financial advice to help you make your decision, then this is available from the Money Advice Service.
Downloads and resources:
- Quick Guide on how to apply
- Eligibility Tool
- GOV.UK 24+ Loans Information
- Online application
- Download a paper application form
You will not have to pay anything back until your income is over £21,000 a year.
Your monthly repayment will be 9% of your wages above £21,000. For example:-
|Annual income (before tax)||Repayment amount|
|Up to £21,000||£0 a month|
|£22,000||£7 a month|
|£25,000||£30 a month|
|£30,000||£67 a month|
If your income falls below £21,000 …
- perhaps because of a career break or due to unemployment
- your Loan repayments will stop automatically and will only start again when you are earning over £21,000 once more.
Your Loan (or what’s left of it) will be written off:
- after 30 years
- on your retirement
- at death (it doesn’t get passed on to relatives)
If you take out an Advanced Learning Loan to study an Access to Higher Education Diploma course, it will be written off once you complete a subsequent Higher Education Course.
Interest on the Advanced Learning Loan will be lower than for a loan from a bank.
Downloads and resources:
You can apply for your loan now! If you have an offer for a course from the College, and you are eligible for a loan, you must start the process as soon as possible.
The College will give you a Learning and Funding Information Letter once you have an offer on your chosen course. This will give you all the College information you need when you make your Loan Application.
Support for you whilst on your course
The College offers a variety of support for learners who have a 24+ Advanced Learning Loan, approved by the Student Loans Company, to pay for their studies. This is offered with the intention of supporting adult learners with a specific hardship or learning difficulty which might prevent them from participating fully in learning.
Those who are eligible for support are not automatically entitled to it. Awards are always subject to the availability of funds.
The support available will normally help with:
- Learning Support for those with identified learning difficulties and/or disabilities.
- Hardship, financial difficulty (but not for course fees) and Course Residential costs
Downloads and resources:
- Download DocumentsOpen
- 24-plus Advanced Learning Loan - Factsheet511kb
- 24-plus Advanced Learning Loan - How to Apply158kb
- 24-plus Advanced Learning Loan - Key Questions Answered42kb
- 24-plus Advanced Learning Loan - Learner Journey447kb
- 24-plus Advanced Learning Loan - Repayment157kb
- 24-plus Advanced Learning Loans - A Quick Guide312kb
- 24-plus Advanced Learning Loans - FAQs935kb
- 24-plus Advanced Learning Loans - Support for Learners206kb